Tirerion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inMap

How Tirerion Works! (Important!)

Go down 

Did you read this since it has been updated on June 20th, 2012?
Yes
How Tirerion Works! (Important!) Vote_lcap100%How Tirerion Works! (Important!) Vote_rcap
 100% [ 1 ]
No
How Tirerion Works! (Important!) Vote_lcap0%How Tirerion Works! (Important!) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

AuthorMessage
AdminMutePoetess
Lore Master
Lore Master
AdminMutePoetess

How Tirerion Works! (Important!) Empty
PostSubject: How Tirerion Works! (Important!)   How Tirerion Works! (Important!) EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:16 pm

If you are new to the concept of a forum-based or literary role-play, this is where you should start. Let me tell you how our site works.

First, you want to read the topics in this forum.
They include the rules and information about this world. These pages are:

The World of Tirerion
The Rules
Races, Occupations, and Magic Orders

Better you know what's going on and where you are, right?

In the Roleplay Forums, you will find a page called THE MAP. This is the map the entire roleplay is based on. It's helpful to use this to figure out where exactly you want to RP. There is also a link directly to the map on the navbar at the top of the page (all the way on the right).

Under the MAP are the rest of the RolePlay Boards. These are the boards you will be using most often because this is where the actual role playing takes place. Each board represents a location on the map, and the Information posted within each board will tell you all about that region. You don't have to look at them all, by any means - just the ones that interest you and you think you might RP on. Again, better to know where you are, right?

Then, you can post a new topic, and begin your roleplay.

Not familiar with literary roleplaying? No problem, It's easy.

First, create a character on the Biography boards. You can have as many characters as you'd like. There are certain character rules and more information to help you on the Races/Occupations board and the Rules board. Those are very important so please, please read them.

On the Biography board, there's a Informational sticky that has the biography template. We ask please that you fill this out as completely as possible about your character and try not to change any of the categories on the template (unless they obviously don't apply to your character). Even if you want your character to have a shady past that they don't talk about, it is still helpful to write out the past, and then say that they do not tell other people about it. Basically, the bio is full disclosure, but in the course of the RPing, your character can reveal or hide as much as he or she wants.

These bios are here to help you flesh out and add depth to your character, as well as to give you and other people a resource to learn about each other's characters. This doesn't necessarily mean that all characters know all of the details about the others, but it gives you information that you could involve or play off of in your role playing.

An admin will review your character to make sure you didn't miss anything and to offer suggestions, but your character doesn't have to be reviewed before you start role-playing.

After you have created a character, (or two or six or whatever), you're ready to start role-playing.

Pick one of the location boards under the Role Play category. Again, it is probably a good idea to familiarize yourself with the description of the area (that is included in the Information post on each location board) so that your role-play actually fits the area.  This is where the real fun starts.

Start to write a small story with your character. Talk about what they're doing, why they are where they are, and create the beginning of a plot. Just imagine any fiction novel you've read - how the narration animates the character and tells about his or her thoughts. It's best to write one to a few paragraphs in order to give a real solid idea of where this story is starting from.

If you think you're not a good writer or you're intimidated because you don't know if you're on the level of the other RPers on the site, don't worry! Trust me, when I started role-playing, I was terrible at it, but having done it for so many years has really improved me. And even I still get intimidated when I post with someone whom I think is a better writer than I am! This is a place to practice your writing, to learn and to grow and to become more skilled. We want to have an environment that is safe for you to experiment in, in terms of writing style and things like that and no other player will criticize how you write (though they may tell you if there's a rule you've broken).

To end your post, try to leave it with a playable ending, such as "he heard someone walk in" or "she turned and saw..." or even have an event happen that would draw the attention of other people. Then hit "send" and your post will be available for everyone to see.

This part is the part that can be sort of frustrating. From there, wait for someone else to come along and respond to your post. This might take a while - especially because we are still a very small site. Don't get too frustrated though! While you're waiting, you can create another character and another post, or join an already in progress role-play. (If you don't know the people who are doing the role-play, it is polite to post to ask them first if it would be ok if you joined.) From there it goes back and forth, as long as you want.

Questions? Contact an Admin =]

Last edited by Slayde on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated for clarity and detail.)
Back to top Go down
http://mutepoetess.deviantart.com

How Tirerion Works! (Important!)
Page 1 of 1